As winter continues, you need to be ready for any sudden HVAC issues that may arise. Don’t let the discomforts of winter HVAC emergencies overwhelm you – taking proactive steps now to be prepared in case of sudden furnace malfunctions or power outages will make all the difference in your time of need! You can be ready for winter HVAC emergencies by heeding Springfield Heating & Cooling‘s guidance on how to be prepared for any winter HVAC emergency before it arises!
IN FRIGID WEATHER, WHAT SHOULD HOMEOWNERS DO TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL WARMTH?
- Indoor Vents: To ensure your HVAC system operates efficiently during the cold winter months, ensure all inside vents are open and unblocked. Don’t cover them with furniture or mats; if left uncovered, you’ll reap the best results!
- Outdoor Vents: Always be watchful for clogged exterior vents outside. The built-up snow and ice can impede their functionality, so take caution when it snows to clear away any obstruction on the vent surface to ensure better performance.
- Gas Meter: While shoveling snow and inspecting exterior vents for ice buildup during the winter, don’t forget to take a few extra seconds to inspect your gas meter! Clearing any snow or ice from its surface is essential — not only to make it easier to find but also for safe operation in cold weather. A brief check now will save you time and possible trouble in the future.
- Windows: Don’t forget to draw your curtains and blinds closed; this simple act can drastically reduce the amount of heat that escapes from your home.
IN A POWER OUTAGE OR FURNACE MALFUNCTION, WHAT ARE SOME BACKUP EMERGENCY PLANS HOMEOWNERS SHOULD SET IN PLACE?
- Generator: Investing in a dependable backup generator is the surest way to protect yourself, your family, and all of your belongings from any sudden power outages. From inclement weather to other mitigating factors – having a generator at hand means that you can always rest easy knowing that you still have reliable access to electricity (and thus heat) when needed most.
- Portable Heater: When faced with HVAC emergencies (like a power outage), the value of owning one or two portable heaters is high. Thankfully, you can choose from a wide variety of models on the market to fit any budget, and that meet your needs precisely!
- Fireplace: In times of trouble, having an emergency supply of firewood, lighters, and matches stored away for your fireplace can be the difference between safety and risk-taking. To guarantee that you are never caught off guard in an emergency situation, make sure to have an ample supply ready at all times. Knowing that you are fully prepared for any event will bring about peace of mind.
- Extra Blankets: For a solution to storing those spare blankets, why not keep them in an easy-to-access container or basket? This is the perfect backup plan for any instance if your HVAC system fails or you are experiencing a prolonged power outage and need some extra warmth. Having those spares ready will be immensely beneficial!
- Windows: If your home is without heat, use those extra blankets or towels to hang over windows to insulate them further against the cold and prevent any icy drafts from entering.
- Doors: Remember that every time you open an external door, a gust of cold air will rush in, and the interior warmth may quickly disappear. Therefore, limiting how often these doors are opened is vital so as not to waste any indoor heat.
Trust in Springfield Heating & Cooling – our emergency services are available around the clock, 24/7! You can be confident that when you use us, complete satisfaction is assured – 100% guaranteed! Contact us at (937) 350-1881, or schedule an appointment online now by clicking here!